SalentOS Official Community

THE PURE OPENBOX EXPERIENCE!

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-11-21 05:33:30

ken054

Xorg issue?

G'day there One & All,

I recently installed SalentOS - Luppiu in VirtualBox where it works perfectly. I'm therefore sure that I have a valid .iso image. I have used the same image on a USB stick with UNetBootin however when I try to install on my AMD 6 Lenovo laptop:

-Computer-
Processor        : 4x AMD A6-6310 APU with AMD Radeon R4 Graphics
Memory        : 7106MB (2454MB used)
Operating System        : Ubuntu 16.10

-Display-
Resolution        : 1366x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer        : Gallium 0.4 on AMD MULLINS (DRM 2.46.0 / 4.8.0-27-generic, LLVM 3.8.1)
X11 Vendor        : The X.Org Foundation

I find that after selecting an option from Grub I get a lot of nothing. Blank screen only. I tried moving between terminals to see if I could find anything and on one of them that I don't recall I found this message repeated over & over:

*** Error in`Xorg': Free(): Invalid pointer : Ox0000addresslocation ***

I've tried several times but it seems as though there's an issue with my graphics. I haven't the expertise to resolve the issue and Google  didn't find anything that I could use to fix it. Does anyone here have any ideas?

I'd really like to install this on both laptop & desktop. I always liked Openbox and combining it with Debian is just perfect. I could always just run it in VirtualBox all the time but that kind of defeats the purpose smile

Thanks for reading,
Ken
Qld Australia

#2 2016-11-22 16:26:56

gmstyle
Administrator

Re: Xorg issue?

Hi! Please try to make a bootable usb with another software and not with unetbootin. Try to make it using dd with this example command

dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb 

Quannu la urpe nu rria all'ua...tice ca è tifara!

#3 2016-11-22 23:38:06

ken054

Thanks very much for that. I've used dd previously, but never thought about it this time. Probably because I've never had issues with unetbootin. I'll give that a go later today and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again,
Ken

#4 2016-11-23 02:36:24

ken054

G'day there again,

Well, I tried the 'dd' method but it didn't work. The image appears to have copied onto my USB stick just fine but when I boot up from it, nothing happens - just a black screen.

I did at one time get a message about an isolinux image being "missing or corrupt", but that was only on one of several attempts to boot so I don't know whether it's correct or just a random occurrence.

If anyone has any ideas that might help, then can you please let me know?

Thank you
Ken
Qld, Australia

#5 2016-11-24 11:48:08

bobol

Hi, did you try with DVD live disk or just live USB?

Utilizzo Solo Software Open Source

#6 2016-11-24 12:23:31

gmstyle
Administrator

ken054 wrote:

G'day there again,

Well, I tried the 'dd' method but it didn't work. The image appears to have copied onto my USB stick just fine but when I boot up from it, nothing happens - just a black screen.

I did at one time get a message about an isolinux image being "missing or corrupt", but that was only on one of several attempts to boot so I don't know whether it's correct or just a random occurrence.

If anyone has any ideas that might help, then can you please let me know?

Thank you
Ken
Qld, Australia

You can try live-usb-install too. I use it every day to make bootable usb

Quannu la urpe nu rria all'ua...tice ca è tifara!

#7 2016-11-24 12:25:20

ken054

G'day there bobol,

Thanks for staying in contact. As it happens, I'm now typing this from within the live version which seems to be working very well. I started to install but for some reason the Debian install process won't connect to my router even though I've got the correct password. No matter how many times I try to enter it, it just keeps coming back asking for it and won't proceed to the next step. I'm going to have a look at the network settings for this live version and see what I can find. Hopefully I'll get it working so I can install. Vast improvement over where I was before.

FYI, I went back to the unetbootin version of the install and started again. I edited the grub config by adding set_gfxmode=640x480 and let it run. There were a couple of lines of text and then no action. I left it running though and after a bit I got screensful of text as the live version booted up and then then Xorg started up with all as it should be. Dunno why that would have made such a dramatic difference but I'm happy with it. Just gotta work on the network issues now.

Thanks very much,
Ken
Qld, Australia

#8 2016-11-24 12:29:32

ken054

You can try live-usb-install too. I use it every day to make bootable usb

Thanks, gmstyle. Not come across that one before but it looks like it might be worthwhile. I'll chase it up and see if I can use it.

See ya
Ken
Qld, Australia

Board footer